Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Have You Forgotten?

It's Veteran's Day. I heard the song today, "Have You Forgotten?", by Darryl Worley. I was listening to NPR talk about the war, yeah, that's right, I listen to NPR sometimes. :) Anyways, in listening to them talk about the war & in hearing that song I was reminded of the fact I have forgotten. Although, truth be told, I probably block it out more than actually forgetting, but that's another whole post. I am more grateful than I even know how to express for the men & women defending and protecting our country. We truly live in a great place, not perfect, but great. We have so many "rights" and freedoms that we don't even stop to be grateful for and mostly we don't even realize that we have them.

I know of the sacrifice that it takes the men and women and their families. Chad's been home from deployment for 3 1/2 years and I assure you that we still feel the repercussions on a weekly basis. I am an expert at blocking people, thoughts, and feelings so that I don't have to deal with them. It's a little something I learned while Chad was gone. I could teach you if you like.

Since today is a day of honoring those who have served I dug up some pics to help myself, and maybe you too, to remember. I hope you enjoy them. They represent but a few small moments of 16 months of our life.

(I couldn't figure out how to rearrange them so forgive the randomness of their order.)

This is how a soldier goes muddin'...except it's sewage and trash, not mud.

This is how a soldier drives at night...night vision...for like 8 hours.

This is how a soldier reaches out to the country that's war torn.

This is, hopefully, how a soldier comes home!

This is how a soldier lives during training.

This is a soldier & his happy wife.

This is how a soldier gives to the children who don't get enough to eat (an MRE).
(And some sunglasses which make me smile every time!)

This is what a soldier fears...an explosive that is meant to kill him.

This is what a soldier sees through night vision...on all night patrol.

This is how a soldier rests.

This is how a soldier lives.

This is what a soldier calls home.

This is how a soldier travels.

This is how a soldier works.

This is what a soldier protects...rebuilding.

This is who a soldier protects.

This is how a soldier does special missions. (Did I say special...I meant dangerous.)

This is how a soldier finds peace.

This is what happens to a soldier's vehicle when hit by an IED.

This is what a soldier searches for...weapons cache.

This is street patrol...soldier style.

This is who a soldier serves beside. 2/130 2nd platoon 1st squad.

Thank you, soldiers. Thank you, Husband.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, had forgotten! Thanks for the reminder. And thanks, Chad for your willingness to serve. And thanks Sarah for letting him go--even though I know it was one of the hardest things you both have ever done!
    And just so you know I had to look at the pictures several time--I'm always amazed by them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I smiled and cried. I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again! We definitely have a deeper appreciation for the military since it became personal. We love you guys!
    (and is that my picture of you guys hugging?)

    ReplyDelete