Saturday, February 12, 2011

Slowing Down

It is a conscious decision for me to slow down.  It certainly is not something that comes naturally.  I must force it and it's good for me.  I don't do it often enough and yet love it when I do.  So, how do I learn to slow down more often?  How do I fight against my natural tendencies?  I rush rush rush through my days.  Partly because I legitimately have a lot to do and partly because it is my nature.  I am task oriented and anything that gets in my way is a problem...regardless of the fact that what's getting in my way is usually my husband and my children. 
 
I honestly don't know how to consistently slow down.  And, to be brutal, I mostly don't want to slow down.  I like the fast pace.  I like to get a lot done.  I like to be productive.  But, I don't like running over the people in my life in order to accomplish my list of tasks.  I also am realizing that I don't slow down because I don't want to truly deal with or face the issues in my life and in myself.  The faster I move and think the less time I have to deal with myself or pain that I feel.  Grrr.  Why is it that something as simple as needing to slow down is bringing to surface deeper issues?  The more I learn about myself the more I learn that I have built in lots of different distractions and walls to protect myself.  And...that's another issue for another day.  For now, I'm going to just try & slow down a little more. 

So, my question is...how do I build things into my life to help me learn to slow down? 

No comments:

Post a Comment