Friday, August 14, 2009

To Van or Not to Van

That is the question at the Stuehlmeyer house. With Lil Baby Stu #2 halfway to being here, we're facing the decision that most growing families face. Do we buy a minivan or not? Argh. It makes me want to cry. It makes me feel oh so old. However, it also brings out the ultra-logical side of me. I do finally understand why so many families (ok, lets be honest...moms) have them. They are so stinking practical!! So much cargo room, seating for 7 (or 8 if you do a double bench), easy access, roomy, and in this day & age...many features (DVD players, etc). And the organized side of me gets a little excited that there would be enough room for everything to have its place! :)

At any rate...I'm looking for your thoughts! We're open to any & all vehicle options at this point, including keeping the tiny car that we love so much! So, minivan or small SUV or larger car? I'm leaning towards the small SUV myself (Honda CR-V, RAV4, etc). However, I'm still not sold because it doesn't hold any extra passengers & we'll have to stack the 2 dog cages on top of each other. Truth be told I like the Mazda 5, but they don't make it old enough for us to get a used one in our price range. Boo. :(

If you have a minivan...is it worth it?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, it's worth it, but I'm old. :)

    One piece of advice I would give if you go for it - don't get the bench seat in the middle. Get two chairs instead. We have had both and like the chairs much better.

    I agree about the small SUVs. Cute, but not much better roomwise than a car.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love/hate relationship with our van. I love the room, but hate that it's a minivan. I really wanted a small SUV, but since Jon and I are both so tall and have to have the seats all the way back it made for a tight squeeze for the babyseat to fit behind one of us. Whatever you choose I would recommend taking your carseats with you and trying out how they both will fit. I agree with your aunt...if you go for the minivan get the two seats. We have the two benches and so wish we would have gotten the seats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have a love/hate relationship with my minivan--I still love it. Lots of room-even now when it is mostly just me it gives me lots of room to put my very important 'stuff'. And when we need it the room is great! (Like when we all went to get Matt, LaToya, and Kendyl from the airport.) I agree with the other posts-2 chairs not a bench. Also, Pam has a Rav4 and it is very rough riding. The Jeep Liberity I drove (and wanted so badly!!) didn't hold much more than your car and the gas milage estimate was 15/gal. It was also a rough ride.
    My advice? Don't think how old you're getting-think how fun it will be to have a new vehicle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, what is a real world estimate of gas mileage that you guys get out of your van. That's the other dilemma...if we switch to a van our gas mileage drops drastically and our expenses will go up. Also, does insurance cost more on a van? I would like a new vehicle...hm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We get about 22 mpg on our van. I'm sure that's not as good as your cute little car, but not as bad as a Jeep Liberty. ;)

    I don't know about the insurance. We have had a van so long I don't remember what insurance on a car runs. You can call your agent and they can give you an quote.

    ReplyDelete